Yakionigiri with miso and nuts - grilled onigiri
Yakionigiri (grilled onigiri) with miso and nuts is a tasty variation of onigiri.
I used red miso, which is tastier, but you can use whatever you prefer.
- 150g cooled steamed rice
- 50 g chopped walnuts
- 1 generous spoonful of red miso
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- vegetable oil
- strips of nori seaweed (optional)
- Toast the walnuts in a pan for a few moments. Add mirin and sugar, stir for a few seconds and remove from the heat.
- Add the miso and mix. Put it back on the heat over low heat and add the water. Form a slightly thick cream, without ever bringing it to the boil. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Form the onigiri by placing the miso and walnut cream in the centre.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a pan and toast the onigiri on both sides, spreading a little cream on the surface and being careful not to break them.
- You can wrap the onigiri with strips of nori seaweed.