Sujeonggwa is the typical Korean punch made from dried persimmons (gotgam), cinnamon and ginger.
Its origin dates back to the 19th century and over the years several recipes have been registered. It is usually served as a dessert, given its sweet taste. It is often possible to find it in cans in Asian grocery stores.
Here is the classic recipe to which you can add pine nuts to taste before serving.
- 15 g thinly sliced ginger
- 1 dry cinnamon stick
- 50 gr white granulated sugar
- 1 dried persimmon (the stalk must be removed before using it)
- Pour about one liter of water into a pot, add the ginger and cinnamon and leave to boil with the lid on for about 40 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon and ginger, add the sugar and dissolve it completely.
- Put everything in an airtight container, add the dried persimmon without the stalk and close the container once the contents are lukewarm. Place the container in the refrigerator and let it sit overnight.
- Serve the punch at room temperature with the rehydrated persimmon.