Sichuan aubergines are a very common dish and appreciated in Chinese restaurants for their slightly spicy and sweet and sour taste, perfect as a side dish or to accompany steamed rice.
This version does not include meat.
- Chinese eggplant
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- chilli oil
- chopped ginger
- sesame seeds
- chopped spring onion (only the green part)
- fry oil
- Cut the aubergines into chunks. Put them in a bowl and mix them with the starch.
- Fry the aubergines in oil. Drain them and keep aside.
- Mix a spoonful of starch and a spoonful of water in a bowl. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in the pan and sauté the garlic and ginger. Then add the soy sauces and chilli oil. Then add the starch mix, rice wine and sugar.
- Add the fried aubergines and leave to flavour.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion and sesame seeds.
(This article contains affiliate links)