Scallion oil noodles
Scallion oil noodles (cong you ban mian, 葱油拌面) are a typical dish of Shanghai and consist of noodles with oil flavored with spring onion (scallion). They are eaten for lunch or dinner, often also for breakfast garnished with a fried egg.
- vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 handful of spring onions (only the green part)
- sesame seeds
- 1 egg
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the spring onions keeping the flame low. Once cooked, remove them and keep the hot oil aside.
- Combine the sugar, the dark and light soy sauce and the chilli powder in the serving bowl. Then pour in the hot oil and mix.
- Cook the noodles following the package directions. Drain, cool under running water and drain again.
- Combine the noodles with the other ingredients, mixing well.
- Heart the fried egg and place it on top of the noodles. Garnish with sesame seeds.