The name Kimchi jeon (김치전) indicates the typical Korean salty pancake prepared with kimchi (spicy fermented Chinese cabbage).
It is a very simple and tasty preparation, typical of home cooking and incredibly popular, usually served with alcohol (soju or makgeolli) as a banchan ("side dish") or simple snack.
There are many varieties of Korean savory pancakes, the most common are those based on spring onion, meat and potatoes, seafood, mung beans and obviously this one based on kimchi. These pancakes are dipped in an accompanying sauce called choganjang.
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 240 ml ice water
- 140 gr flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of rice flour
- 160 gr of kimchi with its liquid
- vegetable oil
- Prepare the batter by mixing the flour, rice flour, baking powder, salt and ice water with the help of a whisk (the mixture must not have lumps). Add the kimchi with its liquid and mix.
- Heat the pan with vegetable oil. Add a ladle of kimchi batter and give the shape of a small flat pancake. Cook until it turns dark golden and then turn with the help of a pan. Continue to cook.
- Serve immediately hot accompanied by choganjang separately.
(This article contains affiliated links)