Japchae (잡채) is a very popular Korean dish that consists of transparent sweet potato noodles (dangmyeon, 당면) sautéed with vegetables and sometimes also meat. It is a very nutritious and balanced dish, with a salty and slightly sweet flavour.
This preparation is often served as a side dish, alone or with rice (잡채밥). INGREDIENTS - 200 g of sweet potato noodles
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 onion
- fresh mushrooms
- 50 g spinach
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon malt syrup (you can replace it with honey)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil
- vegetable oil
- sesame seeds
PREPARATION - Prepare the dressing sauce by mixing the soy sauce, malt syrup (or honey), sugar and toasted sesame oil in a bowl.
- Cut the vegetables and keep them separate: the carrot and the pepper in julienne strips, the onion and the mushrooms in thin slices.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a pan and sauté the onion and carrot for a few minutes, the consistency must remain crunchy. Keep aside.
- In the star pan, sauté the pepper and mushrooms. Once half cooked, add the crushed garlic. Sauté briefly and add the spinach. Once cooked, keep aside.
- Place the sweet potato noodles in the pot and cook with hot water. Once the cooking water has disappeared and the noodles are cooked, add the sauce prepared initially.
- Add the cooked vegetables and sauté well making sure everything does not dry out too much. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve hot or warm, or consume as a packed lunch.