In episode 8 of the second season of Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories (beautiful and highly recommended Netflix series) a particular dish is presented that gives the title to the episode: curry ramen.
It is made with the instant ramen that the chef has available in his izakaya to meet the tastes of a singular customer.
Very easy and extremely quick to prepare, ramen curry will surprise you.
- 1 portion of instant ramen + 1 powder seasoning contained in the ramen box
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large potato
- 1 spring onion
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 slice of beef cut into thin strips
- 2 portions of curry roux
- vegetable oil
- Cut the carrot and potato into pieces, then the onion thin enough. Keep it aside.
- Cut the white onion into coarse strips. Keep it aside.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a saucepan and pour the strips of beef into it. Sauté quickly. Remove them from the pot and keep aside.
- In the same still hot pot, pour the chopped onion. Stir and cook. It must be browned, like caramel.
- Pour the rest of the vegetables and meat into the pan. Add hot water until all the ingredients are covered. Bring to a boil, then cover with a lid and lower the heat. Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and check the cooking (the potato must be well cooked). Add the curry roux, letting it melt and thicken everything.
- Meanwhile bring plenty of water to a boil in a separate pan. Turn off the heat and add the instant ramen with the sachet of seasoning powder. Leave to cook in accordance with the times indicated on the instant ramen package.
- Pour the cooked ramen with part of the broth into a bowl. Then add the beef curry with the vegetables. Serve immediately hot.
(This article contains affiliated links)