Cheese tteokbokki - Korean cheese rice cakes
Tteokbokki (떡볶이) are Korean rice dumplings generally eaten as street food. There are several recipes, from the classic to the non-spicy one with soy sauce. Here I propose the spicy version with stringy cheese.
Here's the cheese tteokbokki recipe!
- 1 portion of cylindrical rice dumplings
- 1 boiled egg
- 1 onion cut into slices
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 frankfurter cut into chunks
- 1 piece fishcake cut into thick slices
- 1 spoon gochujang
- 1 spoon gochugaru
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1 spoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice malt syrup (or honey)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 piece mozzarella (prepared for pizza)
- 1 slice of melted cheese
- finely chopped spring onion (only the green part)
- vegetable oil
- Blanch the rice dumplings in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain, pour into a bowl and mix with a drizzle of oil so they don't stick together. Keep aside.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the oil in a saucepan. Then add frankfurters, rice dumplings, fishcake, water to taste, gochujang, gochugaru, mirin, soy sauce, syrup, sugar. Stir and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Place the mozzarella and the melted cheese on top. Cover with a lid and wait for the cheese to melt.
- Garnish with the boiled egg cut in half and the spring onion.